Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 00:14:53 +0200

Hello Richard,

Richard Stallman, le Wed 23 Jul 2014 17:47:25 -0400, a écrit :
>       Precisely when it's a tremendous step.
>     How can you feel when you see the whole population get a tremendous step
>     and not be able to enjoy it?
>
> I would not kill an important free program to save blind people
> from feeling left out.

We are not talking about killing programs.

> We are talking about a program that helps many people and hurts no
> one.

It does hurt some people, those who can not use it just because it's
not accessible.  It hurts them because it's excluding them, even if
unvoluntarily.  That is what the definition from the UNO dated 13th
december 2006 explains (notice the use of both "the purpose" and "effect"):

http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/conventionfull.shtml

"Discrimination on the basis of disability" means any distinction,
exclusion or restriction on the basis of disability which has the
purpose or effect of impairing or nullifying the recognition, enjoyment
or exercise, on an equal basis with others, of all human rights and
fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural, civil
or any other field. It includes all forms of discrimination, including
denial of reasonable accommodation;"

So disabled people have the right to ask for reasonable accomodation.

> Its flaw is that it fails to help everyone; it could have been
> better.

Sure.

> That does not make it bad or evil.

We are not saying it is bad or evil, just that it hurts people, and thus
the author should make some efforts to make it accessible.

Samuel