Re: [Audio-video] [Liberté 0] Re: http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2

From: Armony ALTINIER
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [Liberté 0] Re: http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 10:12:15 +0200

On 25 juillet 2014 22:28:18 HAEC, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>"Reasonable accommodation" means necessary and appropriate modification
> and adjustments not imposing a disproportionate or undue burden, where
>needed in a particular case, to ensure to persons with disabilities the
>enjoyment or exercise on an equal basis with others of all human rights
>    and fundamental freedoms;
>
>I doubt that these laws apply to volunteers that release free
>software, but I think any free software developer ought to make
>reasonable accommodation for handicapped people.  I would gladly
>support a request for any project to do so.

Thanks!

>However, I have to insist that the program is still free, and not
>evil, if making it accessible requires more than a reasonable
>accommodation.

Digital accessibility only requires reasonable accommodation from developers.
And that is exactly what we ask for. Not more, not less.

> What I object to about your campaign is that it
>seems to imply the contrary.

Maybe we are not explicit enough. We must work to explain what accessibility
means, indeed. It is not about developing new functionalities but make the
software compatible with the assistive technologies. It is a lot a question of
the way you code (semantic approach versus visually, alternative texts for
images, provide access for keyboard and not only mouse...). If this simply work
is not done by the developer himself/herself, it can be really difficult or
impossible to make corrections afterward.

Hope it is clearer now, and all this discussion was only a misunderstanding.
Sorry if we made you think something different from what we promote.

Armony