bibledit-general

Re: [be] Installing Bibledit on Mac OS X

From: Brian Wilson
Subject: Re: [be] Installing Bibledit on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:27:59 +0700

I removed the macports install of bibledit

sudo port uninstall bibledit

And I downloaded the source for bibledit-gtk-4.7 and after unzipping, manually installed it with

 ./configure
make
sudo make install
 in the package directory.

Typing `bibledit-gtk` in the command line I discovered that the paths were not set so I added the paths in my .profile file in my home directory to as many bibledit directories as I could find executables.

This enabled me to open bibledit...

I have version 4.6 installed via macports on a dying computer (running Snow Leopard) and I want to import the Bible translation project to my newer mac (running Mountain Lion) now that I think bibledit 4.7 is working there.

I backed up my project in bibledit 4.6 on the old mac via the menu `File --> Backup --> Everything --> etc` and saved it to dropbox which linked to my new computer. On the new computer I opened bibledit 4.7 and via the menu `File --> Restore --> Everything --> etc` I attempted to restore the backed up tar ball. However, nothing happened except for a faster-than-a-speeding-bullet window that flashed by faster than I could read it.

So, on my new computer, do I uninstall the manually installed 4.7 (not sure how to do that) and manually (or via macports??) install 4.6. Or on my old computer do I upgrade bibledit to 4.7 via macports and hope it still works.

I wanted Bibledit 4.7 because I really need to be able to adjust the font in the notes and cross reference and key terms windows as Lao is not readable in a monospace font.

Apologies for being so detailed in my descriptions, but in trouble shooting it may be helpful to know exactly what I did and it may be beneficial for newbies (and for my only memory).

God bless,

Brian

Brian Wilson, Director

Mekong Information Technology Co., Ltd.
Dong Dok, Saythany, Vientiane Municipality
Lao PDR

Tel/Fax: (+85621) 725010
Mobile: (+85620) 9646-7085

And so the visitor turned sadly away, thinking for what miserable messes of pottage men and women are willing to sell their glorious birthright as children of God. -- Ellen White.