Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackct

From: Edgar Aichinger
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackctl
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:05:40 +0100

Am Montag, 20. Januar 2014, 17:23:13 schrieb Éloi Rivard:
> Edgar,
> I pushed a commit some weeks ago about porttime and portmidi detection in
> autotools. What is your problem exactly ?

I was building denemo against the modified portmidi package from my own build
project https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:edogawa/portmidi .
My modification was old, so I don't remember which application had required
that, probably denemo itself... anyway i did ln -s libportmidi.so
%_libdir/libporttime.so and the same for static libraries.
Until yesterday this portmidi package got compiled only for openSUSE, therefore
denemo's Fedora build tried to use the original Fedora portmidi package, and
failed, not at configure time, but later when linking because somehow
-lporttime had made it to the linker command, but there was no libporttime.so
existing.

I'm not sure if one can assume for all platforms and distros that libporttime
is gone and the stuff from porttime.h is handled by libportmidi.so. If so, I
think -lporttime should vanish from the linker command, otherwise the
configure.ac macro should be refined to not only check for the header, but find
out how to construct the correct linker command.

But IMHO all that is superfluous work, for linux at least, and we should try to
make auto-connecting to (remembered after first configuration) ALSA or JACK
MIDI ports happen instead, if I understood Jeremiah and that's the only reason
for using portmidi...

Edgar