Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:18:27 +0200

>     Except that I have seen window managers that permit me to change
>     "left" to "right" and vice-versa; the intent is to permit people to
>     shift to a mirrored mouse on the left.
>
> If you did that, you would know it.

I think "mouse-1" "mouse-2" "mouse-3" is enough of a hint to get
people going.  At least those kind of people that would stand a chance
to ever get along with Emacs.  I can't imagine someone plugging three
mice into his computer in order to delete a window (ok, more likely he
will try a triple-click, in particular if he is using a Mac).  I think
we should just take the chance.  If we get a bug report, we can still
think about acting on it.

XEmacs calls the respective events [button1] [button2] [button3].  It
may be argued that this would be more understandable to beginners.
Personally, I don't think that the difference in understandability
warrants a change in the event definition, and I think that the event
symbol is not so cryptic as to make it a good idea to use anything but
the event symbol in the help text.

--
David Kastrup