RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:44:13 -0700

> >  > But I remembered that we already have `mouse-3' on the
> >  > mode-line bound to `mouse-delete-window'.
>
> That is such an awful binding BTW ! At least, this menu could be a
> sub-part of every contextual menu popped up by Mouse-3 in *windows*, and
> mouse-3 on the modeline should pop up a modeline specific
> contextual-menu.

I don't disagree with either having this in a mouse-3 menu or adding an [X]
button to the mode-line. I imagine, however, that some people will want to
keep a single-click window-removal, whatever the binding might be.

> > After all, what is an Emacs frame but a tiled window manager?  We
> > should present it that way to the user.
>
> Actually, Emacs windows are an obsolete concept that today brings us
> nothing but additional and unwanted complexity. There should be no
> windows. There should be only frames, and if you like the tiling effect,
> then Emacs should kindly ask the window manager to place and size its
> frames exactly where and how Emacs wants them to be placed and sized.

Let's not open that can of worms, please. Before discussing the benefits or
disadvantages of throwing windows out the window, let's try to get Emacs
working well with frames. That's a large enough struggle.