Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:04:53 +0100

Andrew Savory writes:
 > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Brian Gough wrote:
 >
 > > I would prefer that literature on free software did not have company
 > > logos on it, as I think it would diminish the message -- and has
 > > practical problems (see below).
 >
 > Can you explain how you think company logos would diminish the message?

People generally perceive sponsored material as less trustworthy, an
unavoidable fact.

Whether it's a problem does depend on the context.

I consider it would be a problem for AFFS when the information is for
individuals: e.g. "philosophical" material, membership information.

In a business context it is less of an issue -- for example, if
hypothetically AFFS were producing a "Free Sofware in Business"
magazine that was sponsored by companies this would be fine I think
(even a good idea).

--
Brian