Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:15:48 +0100

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 14:47, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> ok, lots of comments, so here's an updated suggestion:
>
> * Remove distinction between sponsor and donor.[0]
>   - As Andrew Savory said: "a sponsor is entitled to expect
>     more for their money, and is probably not what AFFS needs"
>     I'll use the term "donor", but either is ok.[1]

Disagree. What we are about is promoting Free
Software. This costs money.
Where there is no conflict of interest we
should be happy to take money that helps us to
achieve our aim.

The money is never an end in itself - but until Free
Software is the norm it will always be needed.

> * Acknowledge non-monetary donors seperately at the top of
>   the page, or when-simple, convert to monetary value.
>
> * List donors in order of monetary value, to give bigger donors
>   a more promenent listing.  Headings *could* divide the donors
>   into double-digit donation, triple-digit, etc.
>
> * Donations are acknowledged for 1 year.

I think for *donors* (not sponsors) this
is broadly acceptable.

> * Donations will be accepted from anyone, with the commitee
>   discretion for special circumstances.  I think M$ is the
>   only company people would have real issues with, and this
>   will likely never happen.

MS are not the worst company in the world
- not even in the software world, though
they are the most successful. I see no
advantage to them in donating to us -
if they did it at the same time as GPLing
their code I would be delighted ;-P

> * accept anonymous donations? of course.
>
> * leaflets mention the donors page, not a company name.  Large
>   printed materials *could* include a list of current donors.
>   (or maybe triple-digit donors, current as of <date> etc.)

If somebody wants to donate to a specific project
(leaflet, program, event, mailout) there is
/nothing/ wrong with mentioning their name and
URL. This is standard practice amongst most
charities - the mention is what swings most of
the board in favour of donating, and in turn
good work gets done.

> [0] When an entity gives AFFS 1000, I don't see a reason to
> distinguish between donation and sponsorship.  And if an
> entity gives AFFS 1000, I don't see why another entity
> should be able to cover 100 worth of printing costs and
> get their name on our leaflets.

Because they *sponsored* the leaflets. If we run
out and reprint at our own expense then the name
would be removed from a subsequent reprint - again
because it's sponsorship, and it was the cost of
printing 10,000 leaflets that was sponsored.

 - Richard "all donations gladly accepted" Smedley

--
Richard Smedley
Production Editor, LinuxUser & Developer

T: +44 (0)1625 855084, F: +44 (0)1625 855071
address@hidden

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/
The GNU/Linux magazine for IT decision makers

   ``One cannot hope to bribe or twist,
     Thank God! the British journalist
     But seeing what the man will do
     Unbribed, there’s no occasion to.''
                          -- Humbert Wolfe

This email message may contain privileged or confidential information. The
information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure,
copying, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of
this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, please notify address@hidden immediately via reply email. Any
personal content in this email is that of the individual author and should not
be interpreted as being endorsed by the company in whole or in part. Whilst
care is taken, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this
email is free from virus infection, and no responsibility is accepted by Live
Publishing Group for any disruption, loss or damage arising from its receipt or
use.