Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: 17 Oct 2003 13:46:32 +0000

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 07:31, Marc Eberhard wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:27:39AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > If we are not going to list in numerical order somehow, perhaps either
> > "most recent first" or a random order would be better.  As you said,
> > listings predictably near the end may be less attractive and I don't
> > see why Zeke Z ZZitz[*] should be discouraged.
>
> But we also don't want to overcomplicate things. What about one page per
> calender month in alphabetic order? That way the page should be short enough
> to have all donors for one month on the screen at the same time. Donors can

Yes, a bit like the GNU Mailman archives
<http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfe-uk/>

> then link directly to this page (probably even to an anchor within the page
> www.affs.org.uk/donors/October.html#companyxyz) to prove they've donated to

A user friendly url will be like
.../[donors|sponsors]/2010/October.html

[The index that points to these individual pages probably need not break
down by month until  we get that busy (2010?) ... instead by year]

The linked page need not look like a mail archive, instead carry all the
colourful logos.
Then adding on sort orders (by alphabetical order or amount of monetary
involvement) would be an independent issue too.

> us. It might also encourage some to donate on a regular basis and allows us
> to give more recognition to sponsors like Positive Internet as they would be
> listed every month as a donor. After one year the system will start to roll
> over the page from the month a year before, which automatically removes
> entries after one year.

Why delete our history which would be a valuable source for many.
The donor/sponsor *index* would have to be sorted by date only.
This index should have a clear link explaining the merits of becoming
AFFS donors/sponsors and contact forms.

If there are any sponsors who want visibility for them through our web
pages then they may sponsor individual pages too ( a possible example
... we have a page dedicated to schools that is becoming popular. Then
any business who is in line with our constitutional aims could sponsor
that page for their advertisement purposes)

I still think sponsors should be encouraged to become donors.
Therefore sponsors  should be listed as  a sub category of donors.

Regards,

Ramanan