Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:27:25 +0100

On 2003-10-16 11:56:26 +0100 Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:
> We have choices here.

Of course we do.  This is why an RFC were posted and comments are good.
Fence-sitting while posing more questions will mean the next revision of the
RFC will still reflect my opinions more than yours.  That probably isn't the
best thing, given I'd like to strike a balance.  If you have an opinion about
whether we should only accept money, or assign monetary values to donations in
kind for the purpose of donor listing, then please state it.  Similarly, how
long should donor messages last for?  Yes, it's obviously simple to remove
them, but when?

> I don't see that this matters. If company X gives AFFS £1000 in January
> 2003, then it's perfectly reasonable to remove their name from the donors
> list in January 2004 if that is what is stipulated in their sponsorship
> agreement with us.

OK.  Is it possible to define a consistent time to removal based on value?

> Or as has been suggested, don't mention other entities at all on printed
> materials, simply point to the web page.

OK.  Do you think this would work as an offer?  For example, would your company
or those you know be interested in it?  Looking at the FSFE page, I see 13
companies from the whole of Europe for 2003, as well as a number of personal
donations (minimum donation 120 EUR pa, but FSFE has no subscription
membership, so personal donors are all here, I think).  FSF's comparable page
has 33 (minimum donation $500).  How will this scale to the UK?

> A gift of £1000 shouldn't really be seen as any more important than a gift
> of £100. They may have equal relative value in the eyes of the giver.

I'm not sure that I agree with this.  We cannot see through the donor's eyes
and, to us, clearly £1000 enables more activities than £100.  Why not use
FSFE-style banding?

> I guess it depends how principled we want to be. Is it okay for us to
> accept a £1000 donation from Microsoft UK?
> If not, why not?

My opinion: donation yes, sponsorship no.  How about you?

> I think Ciaran's idea is about the fairest so far. Although the
> distinction between sponsor and donor needs to be clear - a sponsor is
> entitled to expect more for their money, and is probably not what AFFS
> needs.

So you are against AFFS accepting any further sponsorship?  What should we do
about our continuing sponsors, such as positive-internet and Cyberware?  Ask
them permission to convert to a repeating donation listing?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden