Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: 16 Oct 2003 17:40:08 +0100

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 16:52, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 16:47, ian wrote:
> > >  - Richard "all donations gladly accepted" Smedley
> >
> > Seen under a red light in a dark alley one night ;-)
>
> Well we all have to make a living ;-)
> Anyway it seemed ethically better than selling
> software (no offence ;-PPP  )

LOL. Well I have been thinking of ways of selling licensed software or
at least using it tactically to raise money to fund FLOSS projects. One
reason I didn't immediately GPL the register software was because I
might have been able to use it as sponsorship or something to generate
more income for schools. Its a weird world. If you think about it, if
FLOSS is the more efficient model, using the other model to fund FLOSS
will do a disproportionate harm to the other model because the FLOSS can
be used again and again for further development and small sales of
proprietary stuff would generate much larger amounts of FLOSS. The
revenue from OEM Windows alone if diverted for a year into FLOSS would
probably kill of Windows and Office in the space of a couple of years.

Think its called fighting fire with fire.

> Oh, and before you say it, yes it would be
> better than journalism too :-D

Depends on the journal. Linux journals are all beyond reproach :-)
--
ian <address@hidden>