Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: MJ Ray
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:16:00 +0100

On 2003-10-24 11:38:24 +0100 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:

So affs-discuss would be better labelled affs-procedures, or something.

affs-devel perhaps. It only turns into a "bog," "exclusive club" or "impenetrable" if we let it and yes, we do need to guard against that. I think that proposals, requests for comments, project construction and so on still need to happen in some open form. A mailing list seems a reasonable way to do it.

We already have a purpose. Discussion of free software matters in the UK
is what fsfe-uk is here for.

That is your opinion, not the description of this list (yet).

Development of software is a completely different task. AFFS is not a
task, it's a tool. It's a tool to develop free software in this country.

I think there's some mileage to be got from treating AFFS as a tool and developing it with similar methods to other tools that we work on. I know there's theoretical work going on about that, but I'd like to put it into practice. We need to discuss things more, but we also need to stop discussing these things forever and do more stuff. So I'll now do as I say and shut up on this until new stuff comes along.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden