Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: MJ Ray
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:05:26 +0100

On 2003-10-24 10:33:19 +0100 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 10:03, Chris Croughton wrote:
about free software.  If I were coming to the list as a "list for
talking about free software matters" and were confronted by loads of
messages about how to elect a committee and how to distribute funds
donated to an organisation then I'd likely leave again.

I disagree fairly strongly with this; [...]

How can you disagree? Surely Chris is authoritative about whether he is likely to leave the list again? You can say that it wouldn't put you off, but that doesn't invalidate the views of others. I think your view is known and now so is Chris's. I welcome knowing both.

I think no-one is suggesting that the AFFS "operate in a vacuum" or be put into a "ghetto" but merely that we try to sort things a bit more neatly, moving discussion of AFFS methods to another label.

Let there be no doubt; if there is an affs-discuss list then this list
will mostly die sooner or later. I don't see that changing the name of
the list will solve any of the problems people find with this list.

This goes back to my earlier request that we find purposes for the lists (including affs-discuss and fsfe-uk) that do not overlap more than is unavoidable. I do not think discussion/information of AFFS need necessarily be the same as free software discussion in the UK, any more than development of dancer should be on fsfe-uk instead of its own list. As you say, these are means not ends.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden