Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Kirsten Naylor
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:25:15 +0000

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 22:26, Brian Gough wrote:

> To me, the image of using someone else's list is unprofessional.
> Something we need to get away from.

I wholeheartedly agree.  When I was handing out leaflets at the AFFS
stand not long ago at the Linux Expo, I found it almost embarrassing
trying to explain about the mailing list "we have a mailing list, but it
isn't ours as such" / "you might be interested in subscribing yourself
to this mailing list, it is a free software list rather than specific to
affs, but still..." etc etc

Having a mailing list which all affs members are subscribed to
automatically (we could have an opt-out box on the application form)
that is actually *called* something to do with affs, and that
non-members could subscribe to if they wanted, would present a more
professional front.

However I do also believe that fsfe-uk and the affs list would
experience heavy crossposting, so we are a bit stuck - a new list would
be v good for affs as an org but perhaps bad overall for free software
in dividing the audience and scaring some off with the sheer posting
volume.  So the final decision whether we value the principle above
ourselves.

I imagine at this point in the thread that not many remain that will
read this ;) it is extremely dull and probably we will never reach an
agreement.

/Kirsten