Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: release goals for Bazaar 1.1

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: release goals for Bazaar 1.1
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 07:03:46 -0500

>>It is not about disturbing, it is about the intuitive name describing the
>>command. For instance, I still don't know what does "spork" mean that you
>>defended previously. It may have something to do with the fact that my
>>non-technical English is on pretty much low level (never needed to speak
>>in this language).
>>

> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spork
> http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aspork
>

> PS> You are right, though. www.m-w.com did not have "spork" in their
> dictionary

I'll add to that WordNet 2.0:

Spork
     n : trademark for a plastic eating utensil that has both tines
         and a bowl like a spoon

And wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork

I was the guy that originally came up with the idea of using Spork. We
needed a command that would denote closely related lines of development.

"tag" wasn't right. Tag means something different in other revision
control systems, and is typically used as a label of sorts.

"fork" was definitely out. Something that developers hear early and
often in free software is "when it comes to forks, don't. [if you can
avoid it]". "fork" also poorly represented the typically incestuous
nature of arch lines of development.

"branch" was closer, but still wasn't quite right. The term already
means something in arch that is pretty close, but not quite the same. It
also typically means something entirely different in free software
(think mainline vs. dev)

So what was needed as a term that could graphically represent to the
user what he was doing. Something _like_ a fork, but not a fork.
Something that showed that everything was closely related, yet at the
same time a little bit different.

While pondering the matter, I went out to a low end fast food joint, and
I literally came to have the answer in hand: The spork! Half spoon, half
fork, it perfectly describes closely related lines of development (see
this picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spork.png).

What's more, the term fits in *perfectly* with the tradition of
tongue-in-cheek innuendo in free software/geek culture ("Gnu's Not
Unix", "Spam", "Makes baby Jesus cry", "ping" on irc).

There's not that many people in the world that know the word "fork" but
don't know the word "spork". For those few that don't, if they get
curious and look up a picture of the item, they then have a very clear,
accurate picture of what "spork" is meant for. Happens in geek culture
all the time. What's "Spam?" How about "ping"? Take a shot at "rtfm",
which isn't even a pronouncable word!

I was >< close to getting a 5 minute interview 40 years from now on
FOSSTV (channel 9388), answering "How'd you come up with that term?"

--
 James Blackwell      |   Life is made of the stuff that hasn't killed
 Tell someone a joke! |   you yet.                       - yours truly