Re: Alerts feature -- emails, RSS and/or Atom feeds, ...

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Alerts feature -- emails, RSS and/or Atom feeds, ...
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:33:19 +0200

Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > I have looked at several job sites, and it seems they began to offer
> > alerts via email since several years ago. However, recently, they
> > offer RSS feeds too. I do not know how such RSS works. Maybe you
> > have some idea ....
> >
> > I think the email alerts are more important. Maybe I am mistaken?.
>
> They cater to different audiences, but I don't think either segment is 100%
> willing to use the other technology. So I guess we should do both.
>
> By the way, has Atom already been excluded from the options?

Thanks Victor for exposing it. We should not exclude any option from the
analysis. I am not an expert, anyway:

  1. Alerts via email, cron jobs each day.

  2. Syndication feeds, at the page which shows the job offers.
         https://www.gnuherds.org/FS_Job_Offers.php

      2.1  RSS

      2.2  Atom

     I agree with Victor. I think the best we can do is to
     support both, email alerts and at least one of the
     syndication feeds. It is what some jobsites do.

     If we are going to support only RSS or Atom, I do not
     know now which one should be chosen. Reading the below
     link could be a good start:

       RSS 2.0  vs  Atom 1.0
         http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/Rss20AndAtom10Compared

     I am developing the most basic kind of email alert:
       "alert on any new job offer".

     Later I will work on other tasks. Somebody could expand
     the alerts and/or syndication feeds support later.

P.S.: I hope upload that basic alert support the next week, and later commit
it to CVS.

Davi