Re: Alerts feature -- emails, RSS feeds, ...

From: Klaus Weiss
Subject: Re: Alerts feature -- emails, RSS feeds, ...
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:01:34 +0200

> I have looked at several job sites, and it seems they began to offer alerts
> via email since several years ago. However, recently, they offer RSS feeds
> too. I do not know how such RSS works. Maybe you have some idea ....
Yeah RSS support won't be such a huge thing. Generally speaking we only
have to provide one XML file with the data. Here is a small RSS 2.0
file:

<rss version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Out feed title</title>
    <link>http link</link>
    <description>description of this feed</description>
    <language>en-en</language>

    <item>
      <title>Our job offer title</title>
      <description>description of this offer</description>
      <link>http link to the offer</link>
      <author>author's name &lt;email-address&gt;</author>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>

Well, the only hard job would be to generate those files.
Perl provides modules for this issue - I don't know for PHP.
We should make a decision if this feature is necessary for
the next release.

> I think the email alerts are more important. Maybe I am mistaken?.

I thing this certainly apply.

> P.S. People who use the Git SCM, are used to share patchs before merging it
> the final Linus main line. We could do something similar, if needed, before
> committing to CVS.

Thats a good idea. Especially in commits from new developers (like me)
can be some mistakes. They should primary send patches to this list
first that any more experienced developer (like Davi) can revise them
and give suggestions.

We should also update our `Hacker's Guide' to make clear which diff
format we want.