Re: Using CakePHP itself?

From: Klaus Weiss
Subject: Re: Using CakePHP itself?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:33:03 +0200

> To cover use of the software over a computer network, we are using temporally
> the Affero GPL v1 license. We want to move to GPL v3 when released.
>
>   You could look at this RMS talk:
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00010.html
>
> CakePHP is distributed under the MIT License. I do not know now if such
> licenses are compatibles allowing us integrate CakePHP into our code and even
> modifying CakePHP to our taste.  I think it is possible due to the nature of
> the MIT license, but we should check it before starting to work on this way?.

I'm sorry I didn't look at the license of CakePHP. As I'm never
integrated MIT licensed code before I'm not sure.

> If you agree we could send an email to <licensing AT fsf.org> to get support
> about such question.

I also think we should provide clarification on this issue since it is a
vital concept of GNU Herds to be free software. The X11 License is
declared as `GPL compatible`
<http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html/>. Regardless of
this situation we should really contact the FSF. After this legal
question we can keep on discussing more technically questions.