Re: New proposed webapp Architecture

From: Klaus Weiss
Subject: Re: New proposed webapp Architecture
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:10:09 +0200

> A full redesign is a lot of work, however with your clean ideas it will be
> easier. Moreover, I personally think your new architecture will improve the
> project development and maintenance.
>

> Anyway, if there is something good from the design of the current
> architecture
> we could try to get it.  For example, I like how only files under the Layer-0
> directory can be accessed via a HTTP request, without the need of rewrite
> rules. Apache configuration:
>   DocumentRoot /var/www/www.gnuherds.org/Layer-0__Site_entry_point/
>
> What is the site entry point directory of the new proposal ?
>   DocumentRoot .../site/controller/ ??

Currently there is no need so set your own DocumentRoot with our
mvc-branch. The entry point is just /index.php - however, I
recognized that I don't send the .htaccess file which currently
do all that url-rewriting stuff. I will send you a updated version
soon.

> P.S.: I will write you any thought to try to understand the new architecture
> the most quickly possible.
Here is a explanation of directory layout:

/index.php - This is our dispatcher, currently not really usable

 |-cache/ - should be self-explanatory

 |-core/ - here are the fundamental classes
 ||-controller/
 ||-model/ - here will be some backends soon
 ||-controller.class.php - base controller class
 ||-component.class.php - base component class
 ||-model.class.php - base model class

 |-include/ - here are some include files
 ||-config.inc.php - config file
 ||-dep.inc.php - this file loads all others
 ||-lowlevel.inc.php - this file contains some functions

 |-lib/ - 3rd party code
 ||-smarty/ - smarty directory

 |-site/ - here is the actuall site
 ||-controller - here are the controllers