Re: [out of cvs]: Smarty, CakePHP, PDO, ...

From: Klaus Weiss
Subject: Re: [out of cvs]: Smarty, CakePHP, PDO, ...
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:17:54 +0200

> Another comment,
>
> With the current architecture, as we do not modify the Smarty files, they are
> out of the cvs repository.  I think we should try to keep out of the cvs
> repository the 'external' source code, which we do modify.
>
> Additionally, I think we should avoid the cost of maintaining a fork of such
> projects.
>
> With the current architecture, we load Smarty at:
>    Layer-1__Page_builder/Web_Page.php
>        require_once 'Smarty.class.php';
>
> Our code can access it due to at the php.ini we have:
>   include_path=".:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear:
>                   /usr/share/php/smarty/libs
>                  :/usr/share/php/PEAR"
>

> If we are going to use CakePHP, maybe we should try to keep it out of the
> repository. Just use it, do not modify it for out taste.
>
> Well, I am not sure. We could develop some wrapper to use some of its classes
> if it is needed ... ?

Good idea!

I have integrated Smarty into our mvc-branch since some people don't
have Smarty installed with pear. I have to admit though that we
shoudln't need to make GNU Herds install-friendly for the crowd.

I will delete the local smarty for the next version of our mvc-branch
and will use it with pear.