gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:19:58 +0200

> > So far, there's drawing lines and strings that's being used, but catching
> > events is more difficult (as far as hey'll match...) and using a
> > remote server might not even be possible w/ windows.
> >
> > Turns out X has some ancient pieces of support in it, as well as very
> > flexible schemes that allow things like XEmbed. I expect neither in
> > other graphics engines.
>
> remote server i don't think will be necessary for gutopia, eventually we
> will create out own communications interface to take of this, or at
> least it is a possibility.

Running a Gutopia server. What does that solve? VNC might do
better. Perhaps X can just provide a mechanism here not available to
other toolkits... It's not really important.

> what does XEmbed offer?

Embedding of apps within others. Windows IE does it happily, for plain
X it is recommended not to do so (e.g. xdvi lets ghostview draw EPS,
but usually screws up). Hence XEmbed:

   http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xembed/html/

> > > is there a multi-platform library you can use, or will you have to use
> > > different ones for each?
> >
> > Find me one :)
>
> http://g2.sourceforge.net/

OK, I'll look into that.

> > Something as low-level as X or a graphics engine is unlikely to be
> > available for all platforms. Typically, M$ will use its own format
> > (direct X) and linux invents yet another one (framebuffer, SVGAlib?)
>
> kero, a very rough frist draft of the GTK platform module is in the CVS.
> and i'll attach that particular file here. take a look at it and you can
> get an idea of where i'm headed and the beginnings of what it will take
> to make a GUtopIa backend.

I can make an equivalent for Ruby-Wise. With a bit of luck I can write
some of it Wed Sep 4. I predict layout managers to become nasty.

Bye,
Kero.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+