gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:36:43 +0200

> > While Ruby-Wise may well be an interesting project, its goal is to
> > develop yet another widget set from scratch. Not only developping a
> > widget set is a BIIIG effort (assuming you want it state of the art) but
> >    you also need a large audience to make it viable. And although the
> > Ruby community is growing, developing a widget set for the sole Ruby
> > community will never allo Ruby-Wise to reach the critical mass.
>
> i believe you are farily right about this.

I guess I have to agree. (but if there are as many toolkits as
languages, getting all ruby-users to use ruby-wise could be critical
mass :)

> but understand that my desire
> to have this backend available relates to advantages that may come from
> having a Native Ruby GUI. Ruby-Wise require only one supporting library
> (if i am not mistaken)

Xlib for X systems.

> and thus is quite light-weight giving potential
> to embeded applications per some recent discussions on Ruby-Talk.

Yes, though speed (notably, implicit calls to pack()) is an issue on
an iPAQ, atm.

> in fact this is why Ruby-Wise was created. Kero has it running on
> his handheld! but i grant you that his project has a ways to go, i
> do not readily see that Kero is on a fast paced development track.

No, there are other things I am working on: some general things for
linux-on-iPAQ; a pim-suite for iPAQ (of which he address-book uses
Ruby-Wise); a totally unrelated set of scripts for a strategic game
called VGA-Planets. Finally, I have an awful lot of holiday this year,
plus some business trips (totals 10 weeks easily).

So that certainly does not make me spend each free minute on Ruby-Wise.

> so this
> backend will have to move into the background and others to the
> forefront. but let me be clear Ruby-Wise is just another backend.
> potentially any backend will work with GUtopIa. so its not a matter of
> if, as much it is a matter of when.

Yes. I like my Ruby-Wise interface too much to give it up. Progress
will occur, but slow, at unpredictable intervals.

One major step would be to add another (low-level) graphics engine to
Ruby-Wise (preferably on Windows to gain momentum; problem is I
neither like nor run any version of windows, so I'll definitely need
help for that). Coupling Ruby-Wise to Gutopia is likely to speed up
development (extra incentive).

But, I don't have a clue where to start binding Ruby-Wise to
Gutopia...

   http://www.rubygui.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GUtopIa_Common_Meta-API

at least brings me familiar idiom, but brings me no closer to what
Model bind()s to which View and vice versa. or how.

A short end-user program and its semantics would certainly help me,
if not just to start asking the right questions. I don't care whether
that uses Attribute Eval notation and later turns out Gutopia uses
Hash Notation. That's not important for the concept throught the
layers. And a minute change of code.

Bye,
Kero.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+