gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:29:28 +0200

> > Xlib for X systems.
>
> just the one, which is awesome, but i take it this is the problem with a
> windows version?

Yup.

So far, there's drawing lines and strings that's being used, but catching
events is more difficult (as far as hey'll match...) and using a
remote server might not even be possible w/ windows.

Turns out X has some ancient pieces of support in it, as well as very
flexible schemes that allow things like XEmbed. I expect neither in
other graphics engines.

> is there a multi-platform library you can use, or will you have to use
> different ones for each?

Find me one :)

Something as low-level as X or a graphics engine is unlikely to be
available for all platforms. Typically, M$ will use its own format
(direct X) and linux invents yet another one (framebuffer, SVGAlib?)

> > A short end-user program and its semantics would certainly help me,
> > if not just to start asking the right questions. I don't care whether
> > that uses Attribute Eval notation and later turns out Gutopia uses
> > Hash Notation. That's not important for the concept throught the
> > layers. And a minute change of code.
>
> i am working on this now. i am reworking the preliminary code to be more
> in lines with the way SWT works, but it is proving difficult. mainly for
> the reason that GUtopIa supports ALL of those Notations, not just one of
> them. this won't be a problem for integrating Ruby-Wise to GUtopIa
> though. I will provide my GTK binding as an example you can work from.
> hopefully i'll have a basic rendition of that ready soon.

Good!

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+