gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: 27 Aug 2002 06:34:14 -0600

> So far, there's drawing lines and strings that's being used, but catching
> events is more difficult (as far as hey'll match...) and using a
> remote server might not even be possible w/ windows.
>
> Turns out X has some ancient pieces of support in it, as well as very
> flexible schemes that allow things like XEmbed. I expect neither in
> other graphics engines.

remote server i don't think will be necessary for gutopia, eventually we
will create out own communications interface to take of this, or at
least it is a possibility. what does XEmbed offer?

http://g2.sourceforge.net/

> Something as low-level as X or a graphics engine is unlikely to be
> available for all platforms. Typically, M$ will use its own format
> (direct X) and linux invents yet another one (framebuffer, SVGAlib?)

kero, a very rough frist draft of the GTK platform module is in the CVS.
and i'll attach that particular file here. take a look at it and you can
get an idea of where i'm headed and the beginnings of what it will take
to make a GUtopIa backend.

~tom