Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 21:11:00 +0200

On 24/09/13 20:16, David Kastrup wrote:
Well, let's just say that our track record with "I'll contribute once
everything is exactly like I want it, I could not expect to bother you
with my help before" is not unlike that spelled out in Wilde's "The
Devoted Friend" <URL:http://www.online-literature.com/wilde/176/>.

Hmm, I think you do me a _little_ injustice there. :-P But thanks for reminding me about that story. It's far too long since I last read it.

If you already find the suggestion offensive of working yourself on your
preferred way of contributing, that does not make for a very encouraging
outlook regarding other contributions.

No, I don't find the suggestion offensive per se. We came to it in a bad conversational context.

That said, I think I'd have reacted rather differently if you'd said something like, "Look, we'd love to see something better in place -- if you would like to try prototyping something or if you can point us to some examples of this working in practice we'd look at it with interest."

There is some history to Graham saying "good!" for our current tools
looking discouraging as indeed the complexity of working on LilyPond and
its documentation system itself dwarves that of the contribution
process, and so it's not necessarily ill intent that stops contributors
short after the "VCS tool" hurdle has been placed aside.

Agreed, Lilypond is inherently complex to contribute to, but I don't think that's ever an argument for complex tools. It feels a bit like saying that because rock climbing is inherently dangerous, no one should ever climb with ropes, because it'll stop the unskilled from trying to go to high ...

On the contrary, my feeling is that the more complex the project, the greater the need for tools that are easy and pleasurable to use, because people need their mental energy _for the project_.

I tend to find it a bit of a demotivator if a project is not strongly pro-active about ease of use both of their software and of their contribution mechanisms, because that usually means that there is tolerance of unnecessary (rather than necessary) difficulty, and that in turn means that often there are going to be unnecessary frustrations in getting things done.

So don't worry about contributing only "nice and responsible".  After
enough naughty and irresponsible contributions of code and
documentation, people will be more willing to listen to suggestions how
your contributions could be made involving less manual work by others.

I'll see what I can do. :-)