Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:39:01 +0200

On 24/09/13 15:41, David Kastrup wrote:
What about "Try it" did you not understand?  Windows does not just allow
you to say

     sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond

Instead you have several dozens of dependencies you have to satisfy by
hand, and then the fun with registry entries and other stuff starts.

I didn't need to try it -- I already anticipated that it would involve huge amounts of hassle setting up the dependencies. I asked you simply because it was important to me to understand the problem as _you_ saw it.

No doubt about that, but we're not in the situation to fix Windows.

Is the problem Windows, or that many of the GNU dependencies are difficult to install on Windows?

Look, before you have experience _maintaining_ a cross-platform software
project, stop the pontification.  At my last regular job, we had a
publishing project with a TeX core and Java control logic and some
scripting/packaging.  All cross-platform technology, so we decided to
offer a Windows version because everybody wants Windows and how hard can
it be.  A few man-years later (as there were several people working on
it), we had the thing working.  Deployments?  Some.  Eventually replaced
by virtual machines running GNU/Linux since they were far more robust
and unproblematic.

LilyPond is doing _amazingly_ well.  At least we deliver working
packages that run on Windows.  If you think that a development
environment running under Windows for LilyPond makes any sense, I have
the strong impression that you have no experience whatsoever what you
are talking about.

Note that I never said that Lilypond's delivered packages were inadequate.

I don't know what kind of issues you have in practice with debugging and diagnosing Windows-related issues. Given other factors I can imagine that it might be less of a problem than the hassle involved in setting up development on Windows.

Still, I'm curious -- what is it about making a Windows development environment for Lilypond that doesn't make sense? Is it just the hassle with the dependencies, or are there other factors?

Pretty thinking gets us only so far.

Well, I was responding to a post that said, "We have X, Y and Z set up to let users contribute, what's so difficult about that?"

But there _are_ difficulties that result -- some of them quite explicit, some of them more conjectural. My impression here is that you're strongly locked in to certain difficulties because of historical choices about the design and architecture of Lilypond. In other cases I think those difficulties can be resolved, and fairly simply.

My response to Phil wasn't meant to be cheap pontification, it was meant to be simply: "Here are a list of reasons why you shouldn't be complacent about the usability of your tools."

git-cl does nothing that you can't do directly in the web browser, so
why don't you use the web browser directly?  Saves you complaining about
git-cl.  Do it for a few weeks of serious work, and you'll be glad
git-cl saves you most of the typery/clickery.

Your documentation says nothing about web browser-based submission of patches. Perhaps if it did, I would not have had the bad reaction I did.

Suffice to say that what's easier for someone doing full-time work on a project, and what's easier for an occasional contributor, is not necessarily the same.

I would also add: I have found GitHub pull request submission and review to be much, much easier than git-cl.