Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:54:05 +0200

On 24/09/13 14:09, David Kastrup wrote:
You _are_ aware that the _majority_ of current contributors is running
Windows?

Try setting up a native development environment for LilyPond on
Windows.  Come back when you are done.

What is the reason for it being so difficult?

and the risk is that users are failed because developers weren't aware
of the needs and requirements in cases outside their own setup.

Please compare LilyPond's track record to that of _any_ other project
delivering binaries for Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX (PowerPPC _and_ Intel, I
might add) and Windows.  We make a working development release every
2 weeks for all platforms.

Which other project does that?  Can you please get more specific about
how we are failing our users here?

Well, there could be a point of view that the fact that you can't set up a native dev environment on Windows is a pretty serious design failure. I don't know how much of a practical impact that has on developers' ability to diagnose, debug and test Windows-related problems.

But the point wasn't that Lilypond is specifically failing on some particular point, the point was that by not designing to enable easy development and contribution access across multiple platforms, you wind up with a situation where the contributor base is constrained to those who can cope with your restrictions.

I found the git-cl experience absolutely inexplicable given that at
the time not only was GitHub offering the service it did, but similar
experiences were available via Bitbucket, Launchpad and Gitorious.

They don't offer command line interfaces into issue trackers, do they?

Off the top of my head, I don't know. Why does that matter? The web-browser-based tools are much more user-friendly.