Re: website draft 9

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website draft 9
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:38:39 +0100

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 04:25:28PM +0200, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> GPL page: should the page mention that Lilypond is released under GPLv2
> or later?

It's not; lilypond is currently GPLv2.

> Testimonials page: note that the convention for English with multiple
> paragraphs being quoted is to _begin_ each paragraph with an opening
> quote mark but not close it until the end of the complete quote.

Yeah, I know.  :(   Changing that would require dumping @qq{foo},
which would probably break some translations.
(notably the French <<foo>> thing)

> Also, that you have double quote marks inside double quote marks (yes, I
> know, you are literally copying and pasting from people's plain-text
> emails; which is also why emphasised text is written *like this* instead
> of being actual emphasis:-)

I don't see anything wrong with double-quotes inside
double-quotes... are you proposing that they should be replaced
with single-quotes?  (that said, they should use @qq instead of an
acutal "")

I fixed the emphasis thing.

> What's the difference between the essay referred to on the Introduction
> > Background page and that referred to in Manuals > Introduction?
>
> I recommend still referring to 'Learning Manual' even though only the
> word 'Learning' has the hyperlink.  Rationale: on the FAQ page, the
> phrase 'You need to read the Learning' looks ridiculous.

Already changed in master.

> Community > Contact: place a small note politely requesting users to
> make sure they have read the Learning Manual thoroughly before asking
> questions on the mailing list?

I'm not certain about this.  At the moment, my instinct is to see
how many clueless people we have cluttering up the mailist a few
months after the new website is live.  I think all the "Text
input" links should settle many of those questions.

Learning 1.3.4   has a nice (if I may say so myself) summary of
really important doc sections that get missed, so that should help
as well.

> Introduction > Alternate Input: mention Frescobaldi?

Patches accepted.  I'm not writing more Alternate input stuff.

NB: by default, any programs go under Other.  We only add
individual boxes if it's a really well-featured, stable, and
well-used program.  (maybe Frescobaldi qualifies, but I'd like
some evidence of this first)

Cheers,
- Graham