Re: website draft 9

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: website draft 9
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:30:14 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 04:25:28PM +0200, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
>> GPL page: should the page mention that Lilypond is released under GPLv2
>> or later?
>
> It's not; lilypond is currently GPLv2.

The copyright notice in my installed version of Lilypond (2.12 from the
package in Ubuntu Karmic) says 'GPLv2 or (at your option) any later
version'.  Has there been a change of policy on this ... ?  (... and
isn't there some kind of preference/pressure for GNU projects to either
upgrade to GPLv3 or at least have licensing compatible with it?)

>> Also, that you have double quote marks inside double quote marks (yes, I
>> know, you are literally copying and pasting from people's plain-text
>> emails; which is also why emphasised text is written *like this* instead
>> of being actual emphasis:-)
>
> I don't see anything wrong with double-quotes inside
> double-quotes... are you proposing that they should be replaced
> with single-quotes?  (that said, they should use @qq instead of an
> acutal "")

Well, the English norm is to alternate, so,

   'Today I went to see the captain.  "Hello, Mrs Jones," he said,
   "You'll never guess what the First Mate said to me: 'Captain, it's
   raining herring!'"'

(I don't know what weird part of my head that phrase came from, but ... :-P)