Re: [Simulavr-devel] Help with New Example

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Help with New Example
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:52:10 -0500

Knut Schwichtenberg wrote:
Joel,

Joel Sherrill wrote:
All the set serial commands I see are like this:

FDBK RECV: --->set serialRx0 0x0<---
FDBK SET: serialRx0 ChangeValue 0x0

They all have 0 and that doesn't seem right. :(
Keep cool ;-). I copied only the first part of that window into the mail. The PC
I'm write this response does not have the actual version of simulavrxx and today
 I need to make some trace files for another project. So there are more lines
and I'll send them to you.

OK.  I am just frustrated. It seems like it should be easy.
I have looked at my feedback.tcl and am pretty sure
I copied too much from stdiodemo but still am apparently
not doing something right.
Agreed.  But if the low level wire-wrapping commands are there,
there is nothing wrong with proving integrated commands on
top of them to make implementing common connections easier.
We can call it an autorouter if you like.
Sounds good. There are Serial connections and LCD stuff which might become
targets for the autorouter.

It would make hooking up the standard peripherals
much easier and avoid people repeating what you are
helping me through.
 > No.  My goal was simply to provide the same functionality of
the current main.cpp in Tcl so there was a baseline for the
examples without duplicating the same initialization.
Okay, that's fine. For this purpose Klaus had a special main and the
checkdebug.tcl is easily able to handle multiple CPU's.

Yes and we might be able to generalize some framework.
Just takes some thought.
...testing on this first board done, I might be able to justify
implementing when I approach the second board in their
system.  Doing a multi-CPU simulation might be handy
in that case.
There are some patchjes around for the verilog-IF. Currently I'm not sure if the
TCL approach is better than verilog or if I compare apples and peaches. But e.g.
the Scope function of simulavrxx is empty and if verilog is able to handle a
dynamic scope without programming it might be better to take that direction. For
a multi-CPU simulation you might also need a RS485 driver. That might be easier
to implement in verilog than programming simulavrxx. This is also a subject of
discussion. Also an external "function generator" is around for verilog.

I don't know the best approach either.    That's part of what I
am trying to figure out here.   :)
Cheers
Knut

--joel