Re: Development environment

From: Ralf Stephan
Subject: Re: Development environment
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:19:36 +0100

glen:
> Going from Java to ObjC is
> at worst going backwards and at best going from a multi-lingual
> environment to a single language environment.  And neither
> of those is a good thing to do.

I don't agree with your implications.  First, not the going from
Java to ObjC is the path from multilingual to monolingual, but the
original writer's insisting on IDE is, IMHO.  I'm using an editor
(vim here) for all languages so I don't have to learn a new IDE
when switching --- also thanks to the high availability of text IDEs
like GNU make, a good shell with history/aliases/scripting etc.

Also, what do you mean: Java is multilingual and ObjC is not?  You
can link either with other object files like C/ASM etc.  The broadness
of GCC front ends assures that.

Finally, please elaborate on why ObjC is a backward step /wrt Java.
If you meant the sophistication of accompanying frameworks, please
say so, but then, this is no language issue.

My 2 Pfennig,
ralf
--
http://www.in-berlin.de/User/rws/