Re: Status of MacOSX

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: Status of MacOSX
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:35:52 +1100 (EST)

Why not do both? Macs will run a version of Linux natively (eg
LinuxPPC which is a Redhat distribution). This has the advantage of
having a working Swarm environment, better graphics speed (I
understand). You can OSX for other stuff as needs be (eg Acrobat
reader is not available for LinuxPPC). OSX & Linux
should work together better than does Windows & Linux dual boot
systems.

                                                Cheers

Darold Higa wrote:

> I have been reading now and then the work being done on MacOSX.  I'm glad to
> hear that there is interest in this port.
>
> Since so much of the conversation to date has been deep in context and since
> I don't have familiarity with OSX...is it safe to assume that OSX is still
> not swarm-friendly?
>
> I am going to have to rewrite and rerun parts of my simulation for an
> upcoming project, and I want to implement a hardware and version freeze.
> Since I have to pick my hardware soon, I have to make the decision between a
> Mac (which I prefer) and a linux box, since windows is far too slow for my
> needs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Darold Higa

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia                                address@hidden