Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Nick Hill
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:34:55 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

Co-ordination, though, is almost the name of the game. One of the
reasons I'm against having too many AFFS lists (although I do like the
idea of an annoucement list, possibly the members list too [since we
kind of have that already]) is that it sucks people away from the main
areas of congregation at a time when we're trying to bring people
together.
I'm mostly against free software orgs in the UK 'competing', and
especially AFFS attempting to do things which other people already do in
much better style than we could. However, there is definitely an
argument for providing the glue/grease.

I agree on these points totally.

We need to keep an eye on what the free software projects are aiming for, being careful not to spend effort competing in ways which don't add to the free software community.

In the bigger picture, free software projects don't exist for their own sake.

For example, I am not officially an AFFS member, but I consider myself a DeFacto member. I support the bigger aims of AFFS and vice versa. I am active in support of our mutual aims both through and not through the AFFS. I actively support the AFFS through my day to day activities. I would rather not be put into an unnecessary position where communication channels are cut vertically for the purposes of "the group" - separating DeFacto members from official members.