Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:12:07 -0600

Dave Cost wrote:

What is the status. Who's in "charge" of the openvds project?

Currently I'm the only active developer. OpenVDS-2 is still a concept more
than a real thing, but the basic pieces of it are working. It's a matter of
placing everything together.

So far, it seems possible to have a real root user in each VDS (instead of
the pseudo-root admin) and what is better, no patches will be required for
the packages installed in the VDS. Furter, apart from the kernel which is

Sorry, I must have missed a meeting... Are you talking about a User Mode Linux based design, or do you know of a system like FreeBSD's Jail for Linux?

If UML, I'll take this opportunity to briefly point out the major weakness of such a solution: Efficiency. A UML-based solution will max out at 30-40 virtuals on current high end x86 hardware. I'm not saying this should rule out a UML based system, but it does take the concept into a different market and different pricing scale.

If not UML, then what? I know Solucorp has something along these lines, but I'm not extremely familiar with it, and whether it can be used in the same way as a FreeBSD Jail.--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
http://www.swelltech.com
Web Caching Appliances and Support