Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 06:05:21 -0600

Dave Cost wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed a meeting... Are you talking about a User Mode
Linux based design, or do you know of a system like FreeBSD's Jail for
Linux?

If UML, I'll take this opportunity to briefly point out the major
weakness of such a solution: Efficiency.  A UML-based solution will max
out at 30-40 virtuals on current high end x86 hardware.  I'm not saying
this should rule out a UML based system, but it does take the concept
into a different market and different pricing scale.

I agrees. It's not UML for the same reasons. It will be capabilities-based
so it will allow us not to patch packages. There won't be an emulation layer
or secondary kernel at all. The user-space processes will talk to the main
kernel.

Nifty. Much better idea for hosting. Will look into this...When do you plan to begin implementing a capabilities-based version? I'll spend some time on paralleling the development in a Webmin module.
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
http://www.swelltech.com