Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:27:23 -0600

Eje Gustafsson wrote:

Not sure how I should uhm take your comments. Obviously your not found
of php ...

No, I'm not fond of PHP (then again, maybe I should give it more of a chance...I used to find Perl ugly too). But that is irrelevant, and I should have been more restrained in my comments. Language holy wars are irrelevant.

But this is all of little concern. Webmin is written in perl and from
the already prewritten config tools webmin seems the best option.
We have webmin, linuxconf and WebAdmin (freevsd's).
Webadmin isn't as modular as webmin but there we already have a lot of
the basic features running to deal with openvds.
Linuxconf someone said apparently messes with all config files and
rewrites them etc which might not be that a good thing.
webmin has a good modular configuration and a lot of premade features
for a lot of things that might be useful. But to do what we want it to
(at least from what I seen) we would need quite a few modules a few of
them one could probably take preexisting and rewrite them to fit our
needs.

Dave's vision of OpenVDS-2 ends the problem of needing VDS specific Webmin modules, generally. We will still need a generic virtual server manager for within the virst, and a VDS setup module. But the first is already underway in a few places (my mojo project being one of them), and the latter should be an easy to implement frontend to the command line tools. I can probably do the latter in a couple of days of development, once the tools are defined and working.

More complex tasks, like Virt migration and replication (who doesn't like the ability to offer high availability and 'live' backup servers, and such to their clients?) and backups, etc. will need to be implemented from scratch, but that is true in all cases--there is no such tool available.

The cool thing about what Dave has been describing is that we don't need special admin tools within the virts anymore. Apache will be a regular old Apache...a default config file would even work! This will be the way to salvation on the administration front.

So, anyway, forget I ever said anything disparaging about PHP (I just had to fix a bug in a PHP script recently, and it wasn't pleasant for me--code intermingled with HTML, CSS, and special tags made for a harrowing experience). I'm sure that PHP code can be made cleaner and easier to read than what I've spent time with. All that said, I'll be writing my VDS tools as Webmin modules in Perl.
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
http://www.swelltech.com