RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] PHPDocs for head

From: aeb
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] PHPDocs for head
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:23:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Dave Hall wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 15:40 +0200, Kai Hofmann wrote:
> > Hi Dave (and all others),

> > > I think we need a better skel/example application for 18.  There is a
> > > chance that the current email app may be relegated to unsupported.
> >
> > Correct also I am thinking skel should be LGPL that will help start a
> > commercial product.
>
> I have no interest in writing such a version of skel.  AFAIK skel is GPL
> and should stay that way.

> > > What would they be?
> >
> > No more api commit rights
> > without direct commit rights - creating docs would be not practicable.
> >
> > Also a lot of bugfixes could be, because creating docs is the same as doing
> > code review.
>
> You still have API commit rights, but for regular breaches of project
> policy - such as commiting when you shouldn't - i am suggesting that
> they be revoked, and if you continue to breach policy your CVS rights
> should be revoked completely.
>
> This is not about the docs, but all the other unexplained commits to
> apps which you don't maintain.

ok i think this is somewhat overdone

kai commited small fixes to apps which are not maintained.
i agree, its absolutely nessecary to ask the maintainer of an app before
commiting code/feature changes.
but kais commits are syntax fixes for the xhtml standard or small php
syntax fixes, which dont break an app or change any feature.

i support kais work since he has a good knowledge of programming languages
and surely his commits wouldnt break apps.
i think its much more seriously to change api functions/classes without
contacting the ct team ... but thats another subject, kai never did
something like this.

if an app is not maintained or not under actual development i dont see a
reason to not allow developers commiting _small_fixes_ to the head
branch.

i personally dont feel like spending my time to commit patches which
change <br> to <br /> ... :)

for the projects module kai commited patches to the patch manager, and
for all of my other apps i granted commit rights for fixes/docs to him.

if an application is under actual development it makes more sense to
commit patches since the maintainer actually works on the code and easily
can include the patches. also, it avoids merging.

i think to get this cleared up, the app maintainers should send an email
to the developers list to grant rights to commit _small_fixes_/docs/langs
or not.

i want to get every change as patch for the projects app. for all of my
other apps its ok to commit _small_fixes_/docs/langs

p.s. _small_fixes_ really means small :), like syntax or a missing ? ...

grtx. ceb