Re: Which one?

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Which one?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:49:53 -0700

"jalopez" == "John A Lopez" <address@hidden> writes:
jalopez> glen,

jalopez> Met you at the fest - nice to meet you finally. Is the Swarm
jalopez> + binaries for linux usable for Mklinux or should I go with
jalopez> just the source or what?  John

John,
We don't have any binaries for the PowerPC or the motorola chips.
It might be worth mentioning to everybody the style I chose for
naming the binaries.  The format is:

  swarm-[version#]-[CPU]-[OS].tar.gz

If either of [CPU] or [OS] is not compatible with your machine/system,
then that binary probably won't work for you.  So, in the future (after
John or some kind soul packages up a MkLinux binary), we hope you'll
see things like:

   swarm-1.0.0-ppc-mklinux.tar.gz
   swarm-1.0.0-mips-irix5.3.tar.gz
   swarm-1.0.0-alpha-decunix3.2.tar.gz

on our ftp site.  Of course, this isn't necessarily fully specified.
For instance, I assume that linux 2.0.0 is compatible with 2.0.20.
I even expect that Swarm compiled on 1.2.13 is compatible with 2.0.20.
But, I don't know that.  When and if it becomes clear that OS versions
are incompatible with respect to Swarm, we'll use version numbers for
those as well.

But, the short answer is that we don't have a ppc mklinux binary
yet.

glen