Re: Problems with SuSE 6.2

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Problems with SuSE 6.2
Date: 22 Nov 1999 09:28:44 -0800

PD> Well, this is surprising, too. I get a debugger segmentation fault!
PD> Compiler bug ?

In gdb 4.18, there is a debugger bug in handling certain symbol
encodings that Swarm makes.  I fixed that problem and that fix is in
the development sources of GDB.

I won't even hazard a guess about `Linux' GDB.  For some unfathomable
reason, there is a variant hacked-up gdb 4.17 (released after 4.18!)
floating around that deviates from the mainline FSF sources -- it may
or may not have similar problems.

I just use the development sources of GDB.  I grab it out of CVS,
typically, but Cygnus has tarballs too.  This is what seems to me
to be the sensible source tree to use when investigating problems with GDB.

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots

I install it in a local area ($HOME/packages) so as not to interfere
with the system-provided gdb and other files in /usr.  These newer
GDBs have other advantages like better thread management, which is
useful for debugging native thread JDK things.

#!/bin/sh
P=$HOME/packages
SRC=$S/gdb
$SRC/configure --prefix=$P --srcdir=$SRC
make