bibledit-general

Re: [be] multiple font support for notes

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Re: [be] multiple font support for notes
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 01:30:39 -0700

On 03/23/2011 02:22 AM, Brian Wilson wrote:

> I got errors when running bluefish and gedit. I get the same error
> when trying to run bibledit. The program still runs, though.

>   (process:24034): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>   Using the fallback 'C' locale.

OK.  So (a) the issue is apparently with the "normal" way GTK programs
using macports handle keyboard input, so (as Teus has been saying
already) this is not a specifically-Bibledit issue.

Also (b) there is something odd about your locale setting, it would seem.

> Now what?

(1) Play with the locale stuff and see if you can get that error to go
away.  What does the program

  locale

output?

Also, does

  LC_ALL=en_US.utf8 bibledit

still give that warning?  (Might need to be en_US.UTF-8 instead?).  You
could also try

  LC_ALL=de_DE.utf8 bibledit

and see if it starts working in German :)  I would stick with 'boring'
languages that use a "mostly ASCII" alphabet until you fully understand
how all this works on OSX with macports; then venture into the world of
more exotic locales if you wish.

(2) Also, play with setxkbmap and see if that does anything useful in
any of these programs, as I suggested as "extra homework" earlier.

(3) Since at this point it does look like there is a macports-related
issue here, it could be worth summarizing what we have done so far and
posting (that summary and) a question to a macports users mailing list,
(I assume there is such a list) asking for pointers to information about
how to get macports-based programs to recognize different keyboard
mappings, and how to switch between such mappings if that is different
from the usual Mac OS X way.

Without a Mac to test on (and probably quite a few hours to test and
learn with, if I had one!), I'm running out of my own knowledge about
this stuff.

Jonathan