Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo

From: Brian Teeman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:43:14 +0100 (BST)

I'll try and answer many of the comments made in this one email.

Visitor numbers.
I'm not sure of the actual numbers but I suspect they were very similar to
last time. But you have to remember that the show floor space was over
double that of the last Expo in London. So obviously it will have seemed
quieter.

In front or behind a counter.
Personaly I prefer the behind a counter option but the stand was changed
to be in front as a result of feedback from the last expo. Specifically
from AFFS. Being in front of the counter does increase the amount of wall
space available for posters etc

Grouping political/campaigns together.
This was specifically not done this time after complaints from AFFS at
previous expos. The feeling expressed to me from AFFS that the visitors
were unable to differentiate between the different campaigns. (Note UKCDR
and FFII wanted to be together as did GLLUG and LONIX and Rosegarden and
LinuxAudio)

Amount of stand space.
I tried to allocate stand space so that everyone had the same amount of
space (appprox 2m). Debian are a separate case as they are by far the
largest .org in the UK. Every square metre of stand space at the expo
costs over #300. Just because there is empty space in the hall doess not
mean that it is free.

Number of participants
This year there were more participants in the .Org village than ever
before. In fact it was the largest .Org Village at any linux expo in the
english language world. As each expo passes the demand for stand space
increases. Where at all possible I will not make a decision on who can or
cannot particpate. (The only exceptions were when requests came in in the
last 2 weeks before the show and I did my best to fit them in although
one of the late requests chose not to repky when I ahd arranged some
extra space for them).

If AFFS want to have their own stand there is nothing to stop it. You
would then be able to do what you wanted with it and have it located
wherever in the expo you can negotiate with the oragnisers. Of course you
will then have to pay for it. AFAIK the cheapest stand at the expo this
year was #1000. Is that the best use of AFFS funds? (Does AFFS even have
that amount of money?

Brian
.Org-aniser and Sponsor of the .Org Village