Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:00:05 +0100

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:39:29AM +0100, Nick Hill wrote:

> If you are behind a counter, the visitor feels they have their own space
> and can come and go easily. Having a counter between you can be less
> intimidating for both parties. I believe not having a counter is good
> only once a relationship and comfort zone have been established, unless
> you have a strong 'natural magnetism'.

As a visitor to such things (not ones the FSFE have been at, but others)
I agree.  And to me people with "strong 'natural magnetism'" are even
more of a threat, I want them behind bars (er, desks) not crowding me.
I want to know that if I feel threatened or pressurised I can just walk
away in my own 'space'.

There is a good reason that most car salesmen have desks between them
and the customers, and it's largely to do with that feeling of a safety
distance.  I'm sure most people will have had encounters with salesmen
and others who get up close and 'intimate', sorry but if someone I don't
know does that with me they are likely to get a knee in the groin or
other painful place.

Once a relationship has been established, a visitor can then be invited
behind the desk where the intimacy of "you're one of us now" can be used
to good effect.  And of course those who are already part of the team
have somewhere of their own...

Chris C