Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:44:40 +0100

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 09:39, Nick Hill wrote:
> The level of public engagement at the stall was a small fraction of
> the engagement at the October event.
>
> The visitor numbers to the expo were way, way down.

It would be nice to know the figures. A lot of people have said it was
much quieter; but, I've also heard that upstairs was much busier than
down. Since I didn't really go upstairs at all I have no idea.

We seemed to get good surges of people from the actual conference every
time something finished; although many just seemed to walk back
upstairs.

Wednesday seemed to be a lot quieter than Tuesday too; I wonder whether
it was to do with the weather?

> It was a great opportunity to network within the community and put
> faces to names.

Absolutely. I would say it was definitely worth going - I think Tom's
point about it not being worthwhile was because he probably saw the
quietest part of the show; Weds morning was almost dead downstairs at
times.

> If you are behind a counter, the visitor feels they have their own space
> and can come and go easily. Having a counter between you can be less
> intimidating for both parties. I believe not having a counter is good
> only once a relationship and comfort zone have been established, unless
> you have a strong 'natural magnetism'.
>
> Therefore, the .org village scared visitors but created a great .org
> talking shop.

I wouldn't go as far to say it scared visitors. But, it was quite easy
to fill up the space in front of the counter, and if stand staff could
be behind the counter it would have freed things up a little bit.

However, as I said, I liked being able to stick stuff up on the
noticeboards - that was really useful. I'd also like to know whether
more projects got in the village this time - it seemed like there were
more people there, which is again a bonus.