Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Brian Gough
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:24:43 +0100

Andrew Savory writes:
 > Whilst the fsfe-uk list serves a purpose (a place for anyone interested in
 > free software within the UK), it is not specific to AFFS and does not have
 > an obvious name/address.
 >
 > I'd therefore like to propose the creation of three new mailing lists:
 >
 >      * affs-members
 >      * affs-discuss
 >      * affs-announce
 >      (or some suitable variants, eg address@hidden)

Agreed --- both from the practical viewpoint, and creating a more
professional image.

Regarding this fsfe-uk list, once there is an affs-specific
alternative I think it should just be closed down (to encourage people
to join AFFS).

If specific FSFE-UK discussions were ever needed in the future the
fsfe-uk list could be reopened.

Having too many unfocused lists is bad because it wastes people's time
and actually results in less effective communication.  For example, in
the patent campaign we need to be able to inform AFFS members directly
on what we recommend they should do.

--
Brian