Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Andrew Savory
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:02:54 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Nick Hill wrote:

> I have not become an official member because it is simply not necessary
> (for the sake of free software) for me to do so. In fact, it would be
> counterproductive. Those officially part of the organisation and those
> not officially part of the organisation should be (and are, in the case
> of the AFFS) able to co-operate regardless.

Ok. Can you explain a little more about how it would be counterproductive
for you to be a member?

> I would rather not involve myself in party politics. Being a DeFacto
> member therefore suits my purposes exactly.

I don't understand what you mean by party politics here. Do you mean
there's too much politics in running AFFS (surely not!), or that AFFS
seems too focused on political issues? If it's the latter, this will only
change with more people joining and starting work on the other issues that
need tackling.

> Many people may not have the time or resources to devote. In which case,
> a £10 subscription and following an email list will help.

I think the implication (intended or not) that paying the membership is
something for those without time to help is not quite right. Many of the
most active people are paid-up members too :-)

The problem I see is this: in today's society, it's easier to be
recognised and to get your views heard if you are speaking on behalf of a
large body of people rather than just for yourself. So, AFFS is going to
be more effective with every person we sign up. It will make us a better
lobbying group (politics, I know, sorry), but it will also give us the
ability to achieve many other things too - co-ordinating efforts, sharing
work, speaking with a common voice, and so on.

As I see it, the AFFS gives Free Software advocates in the UK an
opportunity to stand up and be counted, which being a "de facto member"
does not. I'd go as far as to say "de facto member" is misleading: you're
not a member until you're willing to stand up and be counted as one.
There's no such thing as "almost Free" ;-)

I don't mean this as a personal attack - I just want to understand why any
Free Software person in the UK would not join up. If you can continue to
answer the points I raise, that would help!

Cheers,

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden