Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Nick Hill
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:11:28 +0100

Andrew Savory wrote:
Hi Nick,

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Nick Hill wrote:
For example, I am not officially an AFFS member, but I consider myself a
DeFacto member. I support the bigger aims of AFFS and vice versa.

Interesting. As someone who would appear to be an ideal candidate for
membership, it would help us a lot if you could explain to us the reasons
you haven't become a member. If we have a better understanding, we can
maybe identify ways of increasing membership ...

I have not become an official member because it is simply not necessary (for the sake of free software) for me to do so. In fact, it would be counterproductive. Those officially part of the organisation and those not officially part of the organisation should be (and are, in the case of the AFFS) able to co-operate regardless.

I accept that there is a benefit in having an organisation in the UK dedicated to promoting the needs of free software. I am happy to hand out leaflets and promote membership of organisations (eg AFFS) where such membership increases awareness and where membership fees help free software. I hope that in the medium-longer term I can raise money directly for the AFFS. I shall do this if I consider the money will ultimately be efficiently spent in helping free software. I do the same for the FSF. I am not an official member of the FSF but I am a DeFacto member.

My being a DeFacto member helps an organisation not to be too self-promoting but instead promotes wider goals which we have in common. I would rather not involve myself in party politics. Being a DeFacto member therefore suits my purposes exactly.

My position is not hypocritical as I devote a substantial amount of my resources to help free software (Which may or may not be through AFFS). Many people may not have the time or resources to devote. In which case, a £10 subscription and following an email list will help.