Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:38:58 -0300

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Francisco Vila

>> - French uses "extension"
>>
>> Last year I chose "estensore".
>>

> I'd vote for that if my knowledge of French or Italian were greater.

"extensor" sounds good to me in Portuguese.

When I invented the word, I was thinking of the mathemetical concept
("a vector space is spanned by any basis") as well the colloquial
version ("a bridge that spans a river").

I think there is no word in Portuguese that reflects both, since
spanning in vector context is "gerar" (generate) and a bridge would
"atravessar" (cross) a river.