Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:38:32 +0200

2012/8/27 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In general, a translator should try to translate as much as
>> possible. At least this is what I've learned from other italian
>> translators.
>> I think it's also a kind of cultural matter: in North Europe you are
>> more used to english words and language, while in Italy, France and
>> Spain it's different (for example, we overdub any foreign movie).
>
> A friend of mine once came across a PostScript tutorial which suffered
> significantly in usability by the translators not just translating all
> variable names in the examples, but also the standard operators.

We are good translators. We don't do that.

> The point is that if "spanner" is mostly used to relate to things
> written in the LilyPond code base and corpus, translating it is not
> going to help.

99 percent or more of computer languages use English keywords, and a
manual for them can be translated. LilyPond has keywords, but spanner
is not one, it's technical, it's specific, but it's not a keyword or
operator. One could leave it untranslated for clarity or brevity only.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com