Re: [Fsfe-uk] Meeting

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Meeting
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 15:40:44 +0100

 || On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:24:28 +0000
 || Alasdair G Kergon <address@hidden> wrote:

 >> I don't know whether this really makes a lot of sense on such
 >> short notice

 agk> By giving a talk, as you indicated in your original message, you
 agk> are making it possible to get contributions from sponsors in the
 agk> UK towards your expenses.

Yes, but like I said: it might be more efficient to spend that money
in order to gain more valuable time for private conversation, which is
something that is normally not possible and cannot be replaced by
anything.

If we have me speaking somewhere, a big part of that day will be lost
for our purpose.

 agk> If we can now:
 agk>   (1) find a venue where you could speak (for example)
 agk>   mid/late-afternoon/evening Saturday;

This is not something I could help with.

 agk>   (2) have an abstract for a suitable talk; that'll give us a
 agk> concrete proposal to present to possible sponsors.

My standard topics can be found on the FSF Europe speakers page
(http://fsfeurope.org/speakers/), which are:

    1 Visions for Free Software and the FSF
    2 Background, concept and future of the FSF Europe
    3 History, background and philosophy of Free Software and the GNU Project
    4 "Copyright in the internet age": Implications for copyright by the
digital revolution
    5 Commercial, practical and sociological aspects of Free Software and the
GNU Project
    6 The "Brave GNU World"

I could speak about 3 without any preparation, 4 would need little
preparation, the rest I would have to spend some time on preparing an
adequate presentation. This time may be hard to find at the moment.

But like I said: I think it may be more useful to not organize
something this time so we can concentrate on the issues at hand.

This should not stop us from maybe organizing such an event at some
other time - I'd be glad to come and give a talk then.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <address@hidden>